Rhoda Unger is a professor emerita of psychology and has written or edited nine books on the psychology of women and gender as well as more than 65 articles and book chapters. She has also published several recent articles on political psychology. Unger has received many awards for her work, including the first Carolyn Sherif memorial lectureship from the Society for the Psychology of Women and distinguished career awards from the Committee on the Psychology of Women and the Association for Women in Psychology. In 2007 she was awarded the Gold Medal for Lifetime Achievement in Psychology in the Public Interest from the American Psychological Foundation.
Unger has been president of the Society for the Psychology of Women and the Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues (divisions of APA). From 2000-2006 she was the inaugural editor of the electronic and print journal Analyses of Social Issues and Public Policy (ASAP).
Professor Unger has also been a Fulbright Senior Scholar at the University of Haifa in Israel, a Visiting Fellow for the British Psychological Society, and a Noted Scholar at the University of British Columbia.
- Culture and Ethnicity
- Gender Psychology
- Person Perception
- Political Psychology
- Crawford, M., & Unger, R. K. (2004). Women and gender: A feminist psychology (4th ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill.
- O'Leary, V. E., Unger, R. K., & Wallston, B. S. (Eds.). (1985). Women, gender, and social psychology. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Unger, R. K. (Ed.). (1989). Representations: Social constructions of gender. Sponsored by SPSSI. Amityville, New York: Baywood Publishing Co.
- Unger, R. K. (Ed.). (2004). Handbook of the psychology of women and gender. New York: Wiley.
- Unger, R. K. (1998). Resisting gender: Twenty-five years in/of feminist psychology. London: Sage.
- Unger, R. K. (1979). Female and male: Psychological perspectives. New York: Harper & Row.
- Unger, R. K., & Denmark, F. L. (1975). Woman: Dependent or independent variable? New York: Psychological Dimensions.
- Unger, R. K. (2000). Outsiders inside: Positive marginality and social change. Journal of Social Issues, 56(1), 163-179.
- Unger, R. K. (1986). Looking toward the future by looking at the past: Social activism and social history. Journal of Social Issues, 42(1), 215-227.
- Unger, R. K. (1983). Through the looking glass: No Wonderland yet! (The reciprocal relationship between methodology and models of reality). Presidential address to Division 35 of APA. Psychology of Women Quarterly, 8, 9-32.
- Unger, R. K. (1979). Toward a redefinition of sex and gender. American Psychologist, 34, 1085-1094.
- Unger, R. K., Draper, R. D., & Pendergrass, M. L. (1986). Personal epistemology and personal experience. Journal of Social Issues, 42(2), 67-79.
3 Newport Road, #4
Cambridge, Massachusetts 02149
- Phone: (781) 736-8401